Monday, September 24, 2012

Enough

This summer was a summer of reading for our family.

I read memoirs: Girl Meets God by Lauren F. Winner, Look Me in the Eye, My Life with Aspergers by John Elder Robison, The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls.

I read fiction: The Testament by John Grisham, Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult, and The Boxcar Children Books 1-7 to my children. 

And then I read another genre of books (their backs are labeled "Christian living" and "religion" but they should be labeled "Warning: this book has the potential to change your life!): Reckless Faith by Beth Guckenberger, The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne. 

These are stories of people who are allowing God to transform their lives: the way they think, the way they give, the way they live. These books, along with my memories of reading The Hole in the Gospel by Richard Stearns and with challenging sermons by our pastor and engaging discussions with friends have been rocking - and wrecking - my comfortable, little, Christian world.

I am being challenged with new thoughts about poverty and war. About my responsibility for the welfare of God's children across town and across the world. It's overwhelming and unsettling, and I have more questions than answers. But I am seeking and praying and trusting in God's ability to help me hear his voice and to be obedient day by day. Step by step. Dollar by dollar.

I recently read a quote on a friend's blog that she confessed to hearing on the radio, so I am not even sure whom to credit, but it is worth considering, "The opposite of poverty is not wealth; it is enough." 

I love the idea of enough. Not in need, not with excess, but enough. Just the right amount.

It's the same principle that God commanded when He fed the Israelites manna in the wilderness: "Then the Lord said to Moses, 'I will rain down bread from heaven for you. The people are to go out each day and gather enough for that day. In this way I will test then and see whether they will follow my instructions." (emphasis mine) -- Exodus 16:4

I wonder if the principle of enough is a kingdom principle. Jesus shares parables that warn of the folly of building barns for excess and admonishes us against storing up riches on earth. 

Are we to live with a such a level of trust that we daily dependend on God's faithfulness to provide enough

Do we miss out on God's blessings and miracles because we insist on planning ahead and holding so tightly to the things of this world to the point that we render God's intervention unnecessary. 

Is it okay that hundreds of thousands of children die daily of preventable diseases while my children live in excess...with more than enough?

What does living with enough look like? How is God challenging you to share your "excess" with those "in need"? 

I'm not sure what this means for our family; but I have a feeling we are starting a new journey, and this is just the beginning.

No comments: