Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Second Child Syndrome



Before we had Madelyn, I heard stories of how a family changes so much after a second child and even more about the things you had time to do with a first child that you would not have time to do with your second (or third or fourth). I optimistically thought that our family might be different. Maybe I would keep up on the sticker calendar of Baby's First Year (wait...I didn't even do that with our first child.) Or that we would take a monthly photo of our precious daughter by a certain object so that we could track her growth in comparison to it. (ummm...didn't do that with Elisha either.) I would at least put the photos we did take in some sort of a scrapbook to have a meaningful, organized record of our child's life (you guessed it...so far I have the ultrasound and baby shower photos in Elisha's album.)

So, here we are, eight months into our second child, and we - finally - had her first professional photos taken. Our dear friend Gia (who is an amazingly talented photographer) was actually here for Madelyn's birth. She had come to stay for the weekend while she was in town doing some photo shoots. The night after she arrived, I went into the hospital with complications; and Madelyn was born a little over 24 hours later. Unfortunately, we were not able to capture any photos while Madelyn was in the hospital because only parents and grandparents were allowed in the nursery. She did, however, stay with Elisha during the weekend, and we consider her visit a providential gift, despite the lack of photos.

She was in town again a couple of weeks ago and graciously agreed to spend some time with our family as well as take some photos of Madelyn. You can see the set here and also check out all of Gia's work at her website. They are so beautiful! Now if I can just get her photo in a frame sometime before her first birthday...

26 comments:

jenny marvin mealy said...

WOW! What amazing pictures. Gia is good, but that kid is soooo cute! What a doll baby she is.

Woodcock family said...

Great Pictures of my beautiful niece. I expect some in the mail soon!! I love you guys!!

Woodcock family said...

I forgot to ask where are the family pictures of all 4 of ya????

Jaena said...

Yep, you can add the family photo to the list of things we haven't done with our second child yet. I was just thinking of that the other day when I saw the family photo we took of Elisha. Yet another thing for my list... :o)

Keetha Broyles said...

What a gorgeous baby!!!!!!

BTW - - - - I DO have the settings, and the formating buttons, and I DO have the show links, which I already had on "yes" - - - - but I still don't have that google or edit me or even the links heading on my blog.

I can tell I'm just too dense for words.

Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

OHMIGOSH!!!! Those cheeks. I'm just dying here. She is beautiful!

Dave & Lynnette Mason said...

WOW!! I love the picture Gia took, that's sooo cool! :)

Anon said...

You mean that you don't have all of your pictures in a scrapbook like I do?......hahahaha. Don't I wish? Running short on time now, have another one and see what that'll do to your time.....talk about a whirlwind.

Cute pic of the kid. In some of those pics, she kind of had a "little attitude" look. Funny.

Toevs said...

What a doll! I just want to kiss those cheeks! Cute dress too. :-)

Woodcock family said...

I will forgive you for the family picture since A.J. will be one in 5 days now and we still have done one of the 5 of us, maybe we can do that on scotts day off this weekend.

Robin said...

Wow. What a beautiful baby, and what beautiful photography!

Char said...

Gia is good, but look what she had to work with. Where'd Madelyn get those eyes?

Char said...

Gia is good, but look what she had to work with. Where'd Madelyn get those eyes?

Deb said...

that's the kind of picture that you can just stare at. it's gorgeous! is that "the" one that is going to get framed?

Unknown said...

So I've said it before, but she is such a cutie pie! What a great picture!

Keetha Broyles said...

OK - - - I'm a little slow. When did you make the profile pix of a coffee cup????

Also - - - since you did that, I'll ask YOU this quesion - - - - - - Can you explain it????? I never "get" why people put pictures of some food or flower or something that isn't their friendly little face. Help me out.

BTW - - here I am at 4:18 a.m. again looking at your blog!!!!

Keetha Broyles said...

4:36 a.m. and I'm back to say I GOT IT!!!!
I was standing in front of my sink getting ready for school and it hit me - - - - - it's your MUG SHOT!!!!!

That IS funny!!!! LOL LOL LOL

BUT - - I still like your real mug better. :-)

Am I doubly addicted if I get on your blog TWICE in the same early morning?

Kelley said...

Jaena-
Just in case you read this and not my comments, Please bring Maddie! She is more than welcome!! :)

TheGaffords said...

Absolutely adorable!

Keetha Broyles said...

I LOVED your idea about giving Mike a nickname - - - so I did. Go see what you think. :-)

Lucky thing I lived in the Northwoods for so long and know all those scandinavian names. ;-)

Terhune Family said...

How precious! Will Gia be around for a photo shoot around Daniel's first birthday?
BTW Daniel cried for almost an hour today before his nap. Ugh. I will endure!

Char said...

O.K., that does it. I want a baby girl. Even Tiny Tortie isn't getting this much attention!

christy said...

Hey Jaena may I ask you a blogger-in-training question? :)
Why does my first post not immediately appear when I open our blog? I am such a novice!
Thanks
P.S. Madelyn's picture is priceless! We really must introduce our kids in person. Also, how's night-time going?

Leah said...

The pictures turned out great! She is such a beautiful baby!

Angela/SciFiChick said...

Great photo. She's gorgeous!
I saw your comments on my site.. yes, I think of you everytime I go visit my dad's office.
Thanks for posting your link so I can catch up on what's been going on with you guys!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful baby! Great pictures!