Thursday, September 28, 2006

MOPS Moments


OK, I have a confession to make...years ago (like 8-10 years ago), when I was a children's pastor, a good friend of mine launched a new ministry to young mothers at our church. About twice a month, I remember seeing what seemed like dozens of moms with scores of children arrive at the church to eat, talk, do a craft, and hear a speaker. And I remember thinking (this is the confession part), "I will never be one of those women."

While this might sound like the negative thinking of a lonely single woman who didn't think she would ever marry, let alone have children, that was not the context of my thoughts. I thought (or at least hoped) I would get married, and I could definitely see myself having children (assuming I got the marrying part taken care of, that is)...I just never thought that I would have the desire or need to get out of the house and do crafts with a bunch of other "needy" moms. A terrible perspective, I know. And the only reason I am even admitting to these thoughts now is that now, 8-10 years later, I am eating my words (or thoughts, maybe). I have become a stay-at-home-mom who longs for adult conversation and intellectual stimulation (other than Noggin and Nick Jr.) and who counts serving on jury duty as a chance to get out of the house. (Incidentally, my friend who started MOPS at our church is now a children's pastor; we traded places - pretty ironic.)

Now that I am an official "Mother Of PreSchooler," I have a different outlook on the ministry. It has changed even more drastically after my 3 days spent at the MOPS convention in Nashville Tennessee, but that trip wil lhave to wait until my next post. Unlike "Deb Wuertley, Overtly" I do not have the patience to write long posts - too much to proof at night.

11 comments:

Woodcock family said...

I know how you feel when it comes to longing for adult conversation!! Love ya'll

Dave & Lynnette Mason said...

just dropped in to say... I miss yah Jaena!

jenny marvin mealy said...

I am so glad that you have found the connections with MOPS that I had years ago! It is such a great program.

But I may be a bit biased since I was part of your friends first group 8-10 years ago. :)

Robin said...

Nashville! Nashville? What a great place for a convention! Sorry I missed you, but glad you had some time for YOU! Can't wait to hear the details!

Char said...

Oh, Jaena, you are too funny. I, too, resisted the idea of MOPS until John was about 4. Then, I whished I'd joined when he was 4 months. Mostly, we sat around the table and assured ourselves we weren't going nuts. At that point, it didn't really matter that some of the moms in my group weren't "career women." We were all just trying to do our best - and get some sleep at some point.

LAC - Legendary Aunt Charlene

Keetha Broyles said...

Jaena, I noticed my mother in law (grammy) left a comment on my blog REALLY intended for you. (She doesn't have her own blog as yet - - - but I'm trying to convince her) Anyway, it is quite a ways back in my blog, Tues. 9/12 if you want to see it.

Toevs said...

I am glad you have chosen to "eat your words (or thoughts)" and join MOPS! It is strange to think that years after my sister started a MOPS group all the way in Marion, IN.... here I am... in that very MOPS group... in Marion, IN. Go figure! We just never know what will happen in our lives, do we? Where will we be 10 years from now?Hmmm....

Terhune Family said...

Who proofs their posts?? Not I, said the tired-longing for adult conversation and only gets it through blogging Mommy who attends the same MOPS group! I always envisioned myself having children and teaching full time, along with keeping up everything else that my heart desired. Now my heart desired to be with my kiddies! It's amazing how having children changes our perspective and expectations. :)

Anonymous said...

So glad you had a refreshing weekend away! The kids are getting so big (well, guess that's all relative in Maddie's case). Good to see you at the wedding last weekend...wish we could have talked longer!
Sarah

Jaena said...

Sarah, Thanks for posting a comment! I know you (as well as many others) have been "out there" so it's good to hear from you. :o)

It was good to see you too. We felt bad that we didn't make it to the reception...just envisioned the craziness of trying to eat and talk with the two little ones needing our attention and decided against even trying. Maybe when Kelly's sister (sorry, can't remember her name) graduates from IWU, everyone can meet up here in Marion and we can either have everyone over or go out and get my parents to babysit.

Anonymous said...

That sounds awesome...I haven't been to your house in years (nearly 4, I think)! Kim is really excited to finally be DONE, so graduation at IWU will definitely be a cause for celebrating with a babysitter. :) Have a great day!