Friday, March 09, 2007

My March Meal-Making Miracle

My Freezer:
Filled with delicious home-cooked meals


My Notepad:
Specifically listing meals and number of servings



My New Secret Weapon:
A Once-a-Month Cooking Book
(which I got from the MOPS white elephant gift exchange!)




I think I have found a permanent solution to my dread of daily cooking: cooking more but less often. Jim and I tried a two-week plan from the Once-a-Month cookbook and are excited to know that these meals will probably last our family for the rest of the month. No more worrying about what to make for dinner at 5:15 PM. No more picking a meal to fix, only to discover that we are missing a key ingredient. And - best of all - no more PB&J or scrambled eggs for dinner (right, Jim?) If you want more details, let me know. I would recommend this to anyone as a way to save time, money and sanity.

7 comments:

Char said...

Very impressive! Some of my friends from our scrapbooking group tried this and really liked it. I haven't yet, though. You may be my inspiration.

Toevs said...

Ok, Jaena... I want your cookbook! I have been wanting to try this method for awhile. Seriously, I want the miracle!

Donnetta said...

Wow... I would be so interested in that type of a plan. How long did it take you to get all of the food for the month made and ready for the freezer?

Jaena said...

The book recommends shopping one day (took me about 3 hours at Aldi's and Wal-Mart) and prepping some food (took maybe 2-3 hours to boil chicken, cut up, etc...). The cooking day takes 4-5 hours for a 2 week plan and 8-9 hours for a 4 week plan. It's an investment, but Jim did it with me so it was fun. The 2 week plan should last us a month because we have at least 2 times a week we don't eat dinner at home and some of the meals served 5-10 people. I'm SO excited!

Keetha Broyles said...

Your level of organization is quite staggering!!!!

I have a cookbook, had had it for years actually, based on a very similar concept.

I found a couple of really 'favorite' recipes in there - - - other than that - - - I've hardly used it. :-(

Anon said...

token please?!

:)

Dave & Lynnette Mason said...

Wow, that is soo cool, Jaena you rock I love your organization skills!:)