Friday, January 18, 2008

Startling

We were going a bit stir crazy last night, so I decided about 6:00 to load the kids up and head to Tree of Life so they could spend some birthday money to buy a DVD of their choice. After getting their socks and shoes on, it was my turn.

I grabbed my shoes from our laundry room (a nice warm area that also houses our furnace, water heater and such) and started to put them on. The right one went on fine, but the left one seemed to have something in the toe that was making it uncomfortable ("maybe a piece of lint or a small rock" I thought.) I turned it over, knocked it on the floor and tried again. This time there was something under the ball of my foot. I tried to shake it out but didn't see anything fall out, so I stuck my hand in the toe and tried to scrape it out. I was relieved when something dark appeared in the shoe's opening - finally!

My relief was short lived as the object started to move and crawl onto the heel of my shoe. It was a huge (in my opinion) spider! I jumped up and semi-freaked out for a moment, but quickly regained my composure since the kids were around. Jim was at work and I would have to deal with this. My plan: take it outside and kill it (I didn't want its guts on the carpet). I put on my boots, picked up my shoe (it crawled back inside), took it out to the front porch, shook it out, and stepped on it.

Below is a photo of the remains that Jim took for me this morning. You can't tell how big it was because it's all curled up and there is nothing to show it's size, but I'd say it was bigger than a quarter with its legs out. I considered trying to take photos when it happened, but I was afraid it would crawl away and I would have to stay up all night wondering where it was (shiver).

Thus ends the my spider story, although I still get the heebie geebies just thinking about it: I touched a spider! Eeeehhhhh!


9 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

YIKES!!!! I HATE spiders.

Once in Haiti there was a tarantula in my shoe - - - but it doesn't count 'cause the shoe was a flip flop so I could see the spider plain as day and DIDN'T put my bare foot on it.

I'm still having chills from reading about your toes touching that nasty thing. Yuck!!!

Donnetta said...

EEEWWWWW!!!!!

Unknown said...

O My goodness! We used to have those spiders in our basement when I was a kid and I was SOOOOOOO afraid of them. I guess it was training for the BIG spiders on the mission field.
I totally feel your pain (maybe not literally), but you know what I mean.

Hummel Family said...

Okay, I can so relate! We had these spiders all over our garage and also on the side of our house. THEN they started sneaking inside the house...ahhhh! We tried everything...sprays and bug goo traps....nothing made them go away until we called in a professional. The previous owners neglected to tell us that they had professionals spray their house 3times a year!!! Do you think we had that int he budget??? Ummm, no! But, this year we will be sure to add it in! :)

Shannon said...

That is the creepiest thing I've every heard! Yuck! You touched it!

Stephen and Michelle said...

That is just too much...I think I would have passed out. I HATE spiders SO much. And the number one reason is what you experienced...I hate being surprised by them when they are somewhere they shouldn't be...

I am about loosing it just thinking about what happened to you!!
Michelle

tracey said...

After Bunco I had to come check out the spider story. That's so disgusting! It was fun having you there last night!!

Robin said...

Thank you, Jaena, for sponsoring tonight's nightmare! YUCK!

Keri said...

Oh my goodness. I would have FREAKED! I hate spiders! And I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who loses sleep when I know there's a spider on the loose!