Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Experimenting

I read about this idea in a magazine (I think it was Family Fun) while I was in the doctor's office a few weeks ago. I came home and tried it out that very day. Just fill an ice cube tray with water and put drops of food coloring in each area. Let your child use a plastic dropper to mix colors and experiment. Elisha did this for about an hour, if I remember right. Once the colors get too mixed up, you can just dump it out, rinse the tray and start over. I love fun, inexpensive projects like this!


6 comments:

Kim and Mike said...

Did you freeze them to make colorful ice cubes? :) Wouldn't that be interesting!

Jaena said...

I didn't, but that is a great idea! How are you feeling?

Terhune Family said...

What a cool idea? I actually thought that you were going to freeze them until you mentioned dumping them out... The chemist in me would add some oil :) Mom did an experiment with Rachel that she LOVED and still has around somewhere. They put oil, water and food coloring in a large baby food jar with a lid. Shake it up and watch it separate. Future chemist in trainng...

Terhune Family said...

I meant, what a cool idea! (not?) :)

Keetha Broyles said...

And really pretty too!!!s

Vickie said...

I do an experiment similar to this with my kindergartners and they love it sooo much! I let them use test tubes that have lids on them, they wear goggles and the whole nine yards! They always say they feel like "REAL" scientist. When they are in first grade they want to do it again, and again in second, third and so on!!! It is definitly a winner with kids this age!