Monday, February 27, 2012

Odd

It turned out that the piece for which I was interviewed was on the front page of our local paper last Friday. The reporter was quite articulate and did a nice job putting the article together. So a few friends have been commenting on the paper and teasing me, asking me to sign a copy and all.

Then today, I received an envelope addressed to me with no return address that contained the following:

* a neatly trimmed copy of the article
* a recipe for Taco Pie that appears to have been cut out of a magazine
* an evangelistic tract titled "What If" that asks "What if...your life were to end today? Are you 100% certain that you would go to Heaven?"

A friend who was here when I opened the mail noted that the postal stamp if from Indianapolis, Indiana and things mailed locally go through Kokomo.

So, I don't know what to make of this. Here are some possible theories I have so far:

A. Some who knows me wanted me to have a copy of the article and a new recipe to try. For lent their have pledged to hand out one evangelistic tract a day, so I was their person for that day. They work in Indy and mailed it from there.

B. Someone who does not know me wanted me to have a copy of the article. They read that I was a single mom, so they included a new recipe for me to try. They were unclear of my spiritual commitment since the article shared that I use to work as a children's pastor and now teach at a local school, so they included the tract.

C. Someone I may or may not know wanted me to have a copy of the article. They read that I am a single mom and concluded that I am obviously living in sin because I either have had children out of wedlock or I am divorced. Either way, the tract would take care of that issue, and they threw in the recipe to seem more kind.

D. What do YOU think?

2 comments:

Robin said...

I'm going to go with another option. This person seeks out people in the newspaper, and cuts out their articles, knowing that everyone wants to have a copy of something written about themselves.

They also included a gospel tract because they are 85 years old and haven't seen the sun, short sleeves, or a church service worthy of their presence in 20 years, and this is how evangelism is done. Better to be safe than sorry with the people in the paper, you know. They're thinking that if you're saved, then you're not offended, if you're not, then they've got your attention.

The Taco Pie recipe was a mistake, and they are currently tearing apart their kitchen, wondering, "What in tarnation did I do with that thing?"

Jaena said...

I love you, Robin. I should have thought of this gracious option. The recipe part is hilarious!