Thursday, March 08, 2012

Cookies



I love cookies. A lot.

In fact, I have often thought that cookies might be my one weakness when it comes to food. There is just something about a cookie that makes me want to keep eating and eating and eating.

It takes a bit of effort to convince myself that eating one (or two) cookies will be just as good as eating 10 (or 12) cookies. And that it will probably be better, in fact, because I won't be willing myself not to be sick from all of the sugar and butter sitting in a lump at the bottom of my stomach.

But, I digress. My point is (was?) that I love cookies and I decided to make cookies tonight. Monster Cookies.

Side note: I cannot decide if they are named Monster Cookies because of how huge the cookies are (you are suppose to use an ice cream scoop to dip them out and place them on the cookie sheet) or because the recipe makes a ton of cookies (it calls for 2 sticks of butter, 2 cups each of white and brown sugar, and 9 cups of oatmeal/flour.)

I originally planned to make them for the students at school to celebrate them doing ISTEP this week. But then I got to thinking about who really deserved cookies:

The students who, yes, have worked hard at testing but who also have gotten extra snacks and recess all week?

Or the teachers and staff who have been cooped up in rooms testing students all week, carefully reading pages of instructions and making sure they do everything just right so that they are not reported to the DOE?

Not to mention the parents who have put their children to bed early and gotten up early themselves to fix scrambled eggs and toast for their elementary children. (Hypothetically.)

It was a no-brainer.

I have already baked around 50 cookies, and I think I have at least 3 dozen to go. So far, I have managed to eat only one cookie. And I'm thinking I should stop there or I may not be able to stop at all.

The bright side of my late night cookie-baking adventure is that I may actually be awake at 9 pm to watch Person of Interest. With a cookie and a big glass of milk.


8 comments:

Robin said...

Monster cookies! That brings back childhood memories for sure! I guess I never thought about why they are called that.

I wanted to let you know we'll be in Marion Sunday evening/ Monday morning and then attending the memorial service for Pastor Dave. We'd love to see you if you're going to be around!

Jaena said...

Yes! I will be around. What's the best way to get together?

Jaena said...

Robin, do you need somewhere to stay Sunday night? You are welcome to stay here.

Darcy said...

I LOVE cookies too and so do the 4 boys that live with me! Recipe please?!
How are you? I am praying for you today!

Robin said...

At this point, we have no plans Sunday evening. We're planning on geting up there late afternoon. Could we do dinner? Are you still at the same address?

Jaena said...

Yep, same address. Dinner sounds great. Any food allergies I should watch out for these days? So excited to see you IRL!

Robin said...

Tree nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, etc.) are the only thing I'm still allergic too. Thanks for asking!

Keri said...

Good for you!! I bet everyone thoroughly appreciated the cookies!