Friday, March 09, 2012

Divorce

I hate typing the word.


I hate saying the word.


I hate thinking everyone is looking at me thinking the word.


I hate checking the marital status box on medical forms.


It's a word I never would have expected to be applied to me. I mean, I didn't even get married until I was 28, waiting for God's timing. And then I was so happy. Content with my spouse, my children, my life.


But, things happen. People make choices. To say things. To do things. Two people choose how to treat their covenant.


For better or for worse.


What happened to my attitude in the hard times?


For richer or for poorer.


Why was I so anxious about money?


In sickness and in health.


Where was my patience in times of struggle?


To love, honor and cherish.


Did I do this? Daily? To the best of my ability?


I have regrets. And guilt. And more guilt.


But God juxtaposed a conversation with a friend and a quote from a Mark Lowry concert and started me thinking.


A couple of weeks ago, I was talking with a friend about the divorce and how incredulous it was to me that this all happened. She kindly commented that “my sin” and circumstances just happened to be public and that she would not want some of her choices or her sin to be made available for all to see.


I was a little surprised. While I have made plenty of poor choices and did, in fact, sin during my marriage, I have not considered the divorce itself to be a matter of sin for me. I did not want it. I did not pursue it. And I only “agreed” to it, signing the final paperwork because it was holding up the process of buying a house for Jim.


I did not say anything, but continued to consider her words.


A few days later, I attended a Mark Lowry concert. In the midst of his sharing about how we are all able to be used by God, he specifically referred to people who are divorced. He said, “God was divorced” and told us to read Jeremiah 3:8. He went on to encourage us that if we were divorced, God could still use us and to not think of it as a barrier to what God could do with us.


His words were powerful. I went home and looked up the passage and found this:


I gave faithless Israel her certificate of divorce and sent her away because of all her adulteries. Yet I saw that her unfaithful sister Judah had no fear; she also went out and committed adultery.”

(emphasis mine)


According to this, Mark was right. God gave Israel a certificate of divorce. If God did this, how could it be a sin?


I started researching verses on divorce and found that although divorcing someone can cause them to sin (commit adultery), I have yet to find a verse that says the actual act of giving someone a certificate of divorce is a sin.


I’m still looking and thinking and praying. What do you think?

5 comments:

Rita said...

Others should not judge lest they be judged. I was divorced over 20 years ago and it was not my choice. I did my best to forgive those who judged me. I knew they might walk in my shoes someday. And some of them have. My life is not what I expected but it is good. God loves us all.

Keri said...

I am also divorced. Mine was not as one-sided as yours...in fact, I did the filing and I refused reconciliation. So I can certainly relate to your feelings of guilt! I believe I DID sin in my divorce, I only wanted out and wouldn't listen or consider any other option.

BUT! God is amazing. And awesome. And His mercy and grace and love is unfailing. I have experienced healing, I know I am forgiven. My new marriage is more than I ever dreamed, I am so completely blessed. All good and perfect gifts come from the LORD so that is proof that HE is doing the blessing! And He will use my ugly stuff for His good.

You are healing, too, Jaena! I can read it between the lines of your post. God has amazing and wonderful plans for you...plans that will surpass your wildest dreams. Thank you for sharing so openly!!

Toevs said...

My thoughts...

God is a graceful God. He loves us unconditionally.

Romans 5: 1-2
1 Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God.

Katie Bratcher said...

There is no condemnation for those who in Christ Jesus...don't let others, yourself, or satan's lies make you believe otherwise.

I believe God is taking those shattered pieces of a heart and putting them back together to look more like Him.

Divorce is heart-breaking, to God and to those involved, but I don't believe divorce itself is a sin. Our God is a God of love and restoration. And you have a heart that beats for Him...I know that and so does he. That's what he looks for...he seraches the world for people like that. Keep holding on.

Robin said...

I think you're right. I think your divorce was not something that you pursued, and still rightfully grieve. I think you're right when you state that divorce can cause a person to sin, but it is not sin in and of itself.

Spending time with you this weekend reminded me of what a beautiful, delightful, thoughtful, funny, spiritual, compassionate woman of God you are. I hate with my entire being to see you hurt for even a moment, but what amazes me most of all is that you are just as gracious and strong as ever. I'm so thankful to call you my friend.