Saturday, March 03, 2012

Randomness

A List of Things I Discovered Today

(Alternately titled "A Desperate Attempt at a Post")

1. The amount of time it takes to clean my bathroom mirror is disproportionate to the difference it makes.

For some reason, when I clean my bathrooms, I often skip cleaning the mirror. After scrubbing the toilet, sink, and floor (and sometimes shower, although I hate to admit how many times I skip that too - is that too much information?), I figure I've done enough.

But today, I looked at the mirror and decided it needed an intervention. So after a few squirts of cleaner and a few swipes of the paper towel (minus the moments of scrubbing those stubborn toothpaste splashes), the mirror was sparkling! Note to self: Clean bathroom mirrors more often to see an instant improvement.

2. Toothpaste does not always end up on your teeth.

While in the aforementioned bathroom, I decided to clean the kids' toothbrushes and cups. I have recently wondered why Josiah's toothbrush seemed hard as a rock and would not brush his teeth effectively.

Now I know it is because there was hardened toothpaste between the bristles. He still uses an "edible" toddler toothpaste because he likes the flavor. (Not that I keep feeding it to him *because* he likes the flavor but because I am afraid if I promote him to regular kid's toothpaste, he might like to eat it; and I think there may be negative effects if he does.)

So, I spent several minutes (more time, in fact, than it took me to clean the mirror!) separating the bristles and rinsing it under warm water and he now has a like-new toothbrush. Madelyn too.

3. Cream of Wheat will always be comfort food for me.

For several months in high school, I had the same thing for breakfast every morning: Cream of Wheat made with milk and a sliced banana on top. It was a bowl of warm, creamy deliciousness to start my day. And it was most likely the best part of my day, since high school was a time of anxiety and insecurity for me; but that is another post entirely.

Anyways, sometimes, I find myself craving a bowl of Cream of Wheat, and tonight was one of those nights. So I whipped some up (I didn't actually "whip it"...more like "stirred it" but that does not have the same ring to it.) I topped it with a sweet ripe banana and a little sugar and had it for dinner with a large glass of milk. Lovely.

4. I will most likely be watching episodes of Person of Interest on the internet instead of on live television.

The past three weeks, I have wanted to watch this show. I have planned to watch this show. But by the time 9 pm rolls around, I find that I would rather go to bed than stay up to watch this show.

Between last night and tonight, I caught up on the last three episodes online (Illegally? How do I know if they are illegally posted? This may keep me up at night.)

I am evidently too old now to stay awake for Prime Time shows. I realize this is sad and lame on several levels. And most likely boring too. Sorry about that.

5. Finally, never underestimate the body of Christ.

I attended the funeral for the baby of some sweet friends today. They have known for several weeks that their baby had physical maladies that, without God's miraculous intervention, would make it impossible for their son to live outside his mother's womb. Today we celebrated little Elijah Korbin's short earthly life and his heavenly home-going.

Despite the parent's loss, they seemed to be surrounded by an almost tangible peace. Their pain is great, but they exhibited grace and hope. Dozens of friends supported them and their family today, grieving with them, trusting with them and celebrating with them.

Earlier this week, I dropped off to them a basket of goodies on behalf of a friend. I found myself desperate to take them something to "make it better." I realized that I cannot take away the pain, and I don't even have much to offer to ease the pain. But I can walk with them in the pain. I can pray for them. I can offer a hug or a word of encouragement. I can continue to ask how they are and lift them up in the weeks and months to come.

I think grief is a journey. One we are not meant to take alone. But with others.

That is what I saw today. And I am grateful.

1 comment:

Keri said...

I agree with all your randoms...except the cream of wheat! Oh my. I have the opposite memories of that stuff! I used to HAVE to eat it every day in Haiti and I'm sure my Mom can tell you how many hours I spent sitting at that table, trying to force it down.