Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Lent

For the past several years, I have given up "something" for Lent: chocolate, Facebook, and various other items. I have never included food in my fast because (as I mentioned before when I wrote about my journey through "Seven"), I struggled with an eating disorder for several years, and I have always steered clear of anything that might trigger those tendencies.

However, the food week of "Seven" turned out to be quite meaningful for me. Although it was difficult, I think it was good for me to limit my choices and convenience pertaining to food for a week. So I chose to do a food fast during Lent this year.

I will explain more about it as I go, but it was inspired by the book, A Place at the Table: 40 Days of Solidarity with the Poor by Chris Seay. I will be eating foods from the country of Ghana, the home of the three Compassion children our family sponsors.

Today was the first day, and it was a challenge. But I am excited and am anticipating how God will use this to change and refine me. Stay tuned for  more details on that process.

No comments: