Sunday, February 24, 2013

Weary

So I am ten days into this fast, and can I just admit that I am weary?

It's not just refraining from foods. It's life in general, I think.


Parenting three young children.


Practicing patience and self-control.


Teaching remedial students.


Doing laundry, paying bills, fixing meals.


Attempting to pursue God and his presence.


Caring for friends and family.


One sweet friend used the word "relentless" to describe parenting specifically, but I think it fits for most areas of life at one point or another. Life never seems to let up.


And I think that's okay. I mean, God knew our lives would be difficult at times. That's why he invites us to come to him in Matthew 11:28-30.


"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."


I love that he acknowledges our weariness and then offers the remedy: rest.


While I happen to believe that actual physical rest is a discipline that God often uses to restore and heal, I think he also uses his word and his presence to offer rest in the midst of the chaos of our life. 


So I am claiming his rest today. On his day, the Lord's Day. 

May it be yours as well.



No comments: