Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Scoop

First, an update on mom: she has really struggled these last few days. Not feeling well has caused her to want to stay in bed, which has caused the edema (water retention and swelling) in her body to worsen, which has caused her to not feel well and want to stay in bed. The doctors and nurses have told us (and her) that she needs to get up and walk, sit, and move. She has gained 39 pounds since she was admitted 11 days ago - that's a lot of fluid!

The good news is that her pain is better and the nausea is mostly gone, so it seems more likely that she will feel like a bit of activity. They increased her diet from clear liquids to all liquids, so hopefully the increase in food will add to her energy. (She has been getting 1500-1600 calories through her IV feedings, but one nurse said that her body hasn't known what to "do" with it).

We're praying she can get over this hump and that her recovery will begin to progress over the next few days. Thanks again for your continued prayers.

Second, baby details: we are due May 6 (according to the handy dandy chart at the doctor's office), which means I am almost 13 weeks along. Our other babies both arrived early - Elisha at 38 weeks and Madelyn at 34 - so we would not be surprise if we had an April baby instead of the predicted May.

I have been incredibly tired; Jim usually finds me asleep with Elisha when he comes home from work at 9:15. Nausea is not too bad...worse these last few days for some reason. Clothes still fit, but are getting tighter by the day. I heard the heartbeat last week and was once again amazed at the miracle of life - inside me! All good signs. We are very excited!

11 comments:

Toevs said...

Glad to hear your mom is improving.

Glad to hear you're sick... your baby is healthy. At least that what I kept telling myself when I was so sick with both of my girls. :-)

Donnetta said...

Although I have not commented, I have been reading and praying for you all, especially your mom!

Also, congrats on the new arrival!!! How very exciting and now also praying you start feeling better soon!

Keetha Broyles said...

You and my Keri, you're due just about back to back!!!!

How FUN is this?!?

. said...

I'm still praying! Call me if you need me!

jenny marvin mealy said...

Oh you! If you are 13 weeks you knew before I moved and you could have told me! Rub your belly and tell the baby that he is already specail and loved and prayed for!

Hummel Family said...

Thanks for all the baby info! I am SO EXCITED! We'll keep praying for a fabulous pregnancy!

We'll pray your Mama through this not-so-fun time. I hope she can wake up tomorrow full of energy and ready to get up and walk!

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Shannon said...

Yay! That is so exciting!! Let us know if you need anything with these crazy days with being tired and visiting your mom.

Char said...

I'm going to pray that this baby is a Mother's Day gift. No more early deliveries! The extended family can't handle the stress. (Maybe we should be praying for ourselves.) ;^)

tracey said...

I'm so glad I checked your blog. Congrats on the baby! I am so happy for you all!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Congrats to you and the rest of the family! We are very excited for you.

Terhune Family said...

I did read your blog for your wonderful news earlier, I just hadn't had a chance to comment! Congratulations! I'm so happy for you - but not as happy as I would have been if my sister AND mother hadn't both already known. BTW They really couldn't keep it quiet. They both started asking me questions about MOMS group and blogs and I figured it out. Hang in there - you have a lot going on!