Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Kofi in Africa


A couple of weeks ago, Jim and I talked and decided to go ahead and pursue sponsoring a child from Compassion. I had already been on their website a few times and discovered that you could search for a child that met certain criteria (age, birth date, gender, etc...) I had done an advanced search and found a young boy who had the same birth date as Elisha, so that was who I intended for us to sponsor.

When I went back on the night we finally made our decision, I entered his birth day and age and could not find "Kofi," the boy I had originally selected. I was so disappointed and told Jim, "Someone took our child!" At that point, I knew that I was already "hooked" and that we were sponsoring a a child even if we could not find "ours."

We finally found "Kofi" in the listings; it looked like the computer had his birth date correct but had his age listed as 4 instead of 5. We entered our information and received our sponsorship packet last weekend. Elisha already knows his child's name and is excited about the prospect of having a pen pal that he can write to.

I'm thrilled about the opportunities this will provide our family on several levels: becoming more aware of global needs, following and celebrating the development of this sweet boy as we watch Elisha grow each day, teaching our kids about God's children around the world and helping them understand His love for all. It's going to be a great thing!

6 comments:

Deven said...

I'm so excited for you guys! Eventually we received a set of pictures and bookmarks with our kids' information on there. We use the bookmarks in Katy's Bible and have the pictures on the refrigerator. I'm sure your kids will love being able to share with another child, send pictures, etc...

jenny marvin mealy said...

That is so cool! Mark and I did that when we were first married. I would love to sponsor a child again. You've inspired me!

Keetha Broyles said...

Do you know WHERE in Africa he is? Or are you just not wanting to say that here?

Our African son is in Zambia.

Jaena said...

Kofi is in Ghana.

Keetha Broyles said...

In 1972 I went on a Yes Corps trip to Africa (yes - - - I'm THAT old) and we flew into Ghana and spent the night there on our way from Sierra Leone to South Africa. True story.

Keri said...

How exciting!!!