Thursday, March 06, 2008

A Peek Inside

Before you check out the photos below, I need to share a bit of my limited understanding of 3D/4D ultrasound. First, I'm told the the best photos are acquired when the baby's face (or hand or foot) are completely surrounded by amniotic fluid. The amount of fluid is out of anyone's control, and how a baby chooses to move and place itself is as well.

Second, while ultrasound technology is amazing, the machine (or sounds waves or whatever - see, my knowledge is limited) is not able to differentiate between various body parts when they are touching each other. So, a hand on the baby's face is kind of merged together and can look like a deformation or a hand growing out of the face. Make sense?

The perfect promotional photos we see in a baby magazines are one in I-don't-know-how-many, and are fairly hard to come by. So, with all that said, I present 3D/4D Baby Womack photos (with descriptions) for your viewing enjoyment.

Here are the baby's hands; you can see the thumb and fingers pretty well.

This is a bit harder to see, but it's a foot.
You can make out the tiny toes on the upper right.

This shows a side of the baby's face:
forehead, one eye, cheek, part of mouth.
A hand was up by the head, so that blocks the rest of the face.

Here is a profile; the hands/arms are still up by the face.
I think it looks like the baby is praying - how spiritual!

Another profile shot - not quite as clear as the last - with mouth closed.

15 comments:

Shannon said...

Wow- that's pretty amazing! 31 weeks already! You're on the home stretch!

Dave & Lynnette Mason said...

Wow, that's so cool!:)

Keetha Broyles said...

Pictures one, two, and three I "get."
Not so much on pictures four and five.

How are you doing as far as carrying this baby to term? Are you farther along than when you had Maddie? I keep hoping you can carry to term.

Jaena said...

I'm about 32 weeks now, and I delivered right at 34 weeks with Madelyn. My blood pressure has stayed down, so they (and I) just keep checking and watching it. So far, so good!

Woodcock family said...

Baby Womack looks perfect. I hope you are doing well. I miss y'all

Keri said...

Wow that is awesome!!! Thank you for sharing with us!

Shannon said...

Jaenna,
This is the first time I've ever been able to comment because I never had a google account. That's why you never heard from me. : ) THanks for your sweet comment.

Terhune Family said...

Too cool! I was scheduled for an ultrasound the day that I delivered Sarah. Shawn had just gotten the 4D machine, but he wasn't sure how much fluid there would be at that late date. We got to see her in person that day, but I want to see one of those ultrasounds live sometime :)

Unknown said...

Lookin great!

Amy said...

You know, "they" told me Bryce would be a 9-lber. He was my smallest. I know 7-6 is still bigger than your other 2, but it's a far cry from 9! Don't put too much stock in weight estimates--not that a seasoned mom doesn't already know that! You're looking great!

Unknown said...

Lookin good lady! You are almost there... so exciting! I measured bigger with each progressive baby. My last was my biggest, but was the easiest labor- go figure. Mine were 7-7, 6-3 (4 weeks early) and 8-1. Maybe I just knew better what I was doing the last time. :)

Char said...

I like the "duh" picture. Hand over face is always a good conversational skill.

Any news on the sex or are you keeping it quiet?

Jaena said...

We don't know if it's a boy or a girl, so it will be a surprise to everyone, including our doctor! I can't wait to find out...

Shannon said...

Jaenna,

Can I post a picture of Madelyn on my blog? It's so cute, but want your approval first.

Shannon said...

sorry that's jaena! not jaenna