Monday, July 17, 2006

Food for Thought


Madelyn has begun the transition to "real" food (if that is what you can call the tasteless mush she has tried lately). She has yet to master the technique of eating but has, in fact, managed to "suck" the food off the spoon so far. Overall, she tolerates the experience but has not accepted it as the new and exciting adventure that food can somtimes be.

Which brings me to my next point - or maybe this would be my first (and only) point: food can be an adventure. (Did I already write that?) At least it is in our family:

Tonight we went to my parent's house for dinner. We brought pork to grill (thank you, Meat Fairy) and sweet potatoes; and they has corn on the cob and ice cream which, combined, created a very nice meal. I was helping get things ready and "found" a small package of food wrapped in plastic wrap sitting on the bread box (which, incidentally, does not hold bread but contains my mother's spice collection - go figure).

Anyways, I asked if this lump of bread - I think it was actually shortcake - was still good or if it could be thrown away. The answer I received at once summarized years of food disagreements and discussions: "If there's not mold on it, it's still good."

I promised thay I would not reveal which of my family members uttered this proverb. However, I will say that this is not the first time advice like this has been given, and it could just have easily been many other members of my family who shared this opinion.

I, for one, don't get it... I mean, is "mold growing on it" the only way to know that something is spoiled? What about milk? I have, on occasion, opened a gallon of milk and known that it is not fit to drink. Is there mold? No, but I guarantee anyone with the sense of smell (let alone taste) would not think twice about declaring it bad.

What about meat? In my experience, it takes quite a bit for meat to mold (like forgetting it in the back of the fridge for 2 months). Or fruit? Jim has a bad canteloupe memory that still comes up when we eat it. (That would be the memory coming up, not the canteloupe.)

So, while I don't want to be wasteful, I also think there may be better guidelines for determining food safety and storage issues. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Or stories of your own? I have more, but I may find myself eating at home much more often if I share them.

9 comments:

Deb said...

Hey, a late night blog post!!! I am waiting for Anna to get out of the tub (yes, I know it's almost midnight) and was doing a last time blog search and was pleasantly surprised to see your new post. Next time we eat at your parents' house, I think I will have what you're having.

tricia said...

I hear you!
My mom and I often have these conversations because I come over and clean out the refridgerator and she can't believe I threw out the perfectly good sour cream that only expired two months ago - yikes! I know it is hers so I try to leave it but I just can't. I'm with you :-)

Robin said...

Okay, I can't resist. Having worked in the food industry, a microbiology lab, and now in healthcare, I insist: yes, there are all kinds of food safety guidelines. Visible mold is not adequate -- bacterial growth, which can make you VERY sick -- can't be seen. The best thing to do is to carefully inspect the packaging. Most packages have expiration dates on them. If you don't think they're right, or if an unopened package has already expired, call the company. They can tell you if you can still use it and for how long. There are also food safety charts. I like this one: http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/foods/348-960/348-960.html

Most importantly: refrigerate leftovers after two hours or throw them out. Food sitting out all day is BAD! I got severe food poisoning from pizza that was only 3 hours old.

Okay, I feel better now that I had a chance to get that off my chest. Whew!

Joel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joel said...

Okay, I realize that I'm posting at my own risk -- because I think I'm going to be in the minority here. But I don't get too worked up over this stuff.

Actually, I probably come down somewhere in between my parents' viewpoint and my sister's (sorry, Jaena!).

To Robin's point: Yes, I know that there are all kinds of microscopic nasties that can make us pretty sick. And I try to be careful about refrigerating leftovers promptly and clearing out the fridge regularly.

But . . . gosh, I'm somewhat more lax than my sis about some of this stuff, and I don't think I'm any worse for the wear. I don't think I've ever had food poisoning in my life -- and it's not that I have an iron-clad stomach.

I think for me it has to do with the type of food.

Bread with a bit of mold? I just tear off the moldy part or throw away that particular slice. The rest of the loaf's still fine! (My mom would be proud.)

Milk a day or two past? Ehh, it's probably fine. For some reason, three days is my limit, though. Any more and I feel like I have to taste it first -- and then my mind plays enough games that I think it tastes spoiled even when it might not be.

And what about mold on cheese? Well, heck -- mold is part of the cheesemaking process! Just hack off the mold and munch on the rest! I mean, c'mon: what do you think you're eating in blue cheese? That ain't ink from someone's ballpoint.

When it comes to prepared foods or leftovers, however -- especially stuff involving meat or milk products -- I'm a little more circumspect. But if it's just leftover pasta, no cream sauce? Well, I'm liable to keep it in the fridge just a little longer.

Of course, in Jaena's defense, I'm not responsible for anyone's health but my own. She's got two kids to think about -- as perhaps do many other of her blog readers.

Good grief! What a long comment. I guess I need to get to work on a blog of my own . . .

Maybe next time let's just talk about the great fresh-cooked food that the Showalter and Porter families can make. Much better topic, don't you think?

Jaena said...

Joel - Hey! I liked this topic...of course our family can make some excellent fresh food. It's the fact that it will still be in the refigerator when you visit 2 weeks later that is my problem. (Or the fact that someone suggests Elisha has it for lunch..."How old is that mac and cheese?")

Robin - I checked out the website you listed, and it is amazing! A very comprehensive list of how long various foods are safe and what food only loses "quality." Thanks!

Deb - I didn't mean to imply that me parents would ever serve food that is "past due" at a holiday or family gathering. It's only available to the lucky souls (like us) who come over for dinner throughout the week and search through the fridge or cabinets.

Part of my problem may be paranoia or the fact that I really hate being sick (especially throwing up); therefore, I will go out of my way to make sure I don't eat things that may make me sick.

It is kind of like how I don't like shots so I keep my distance from dogs (translated: I am afraid of them) so that I don't get bit by one that has rabies and have to get rabies shots in my stomach. OK, it actually isn't like that exactly...sorry.

Joel said...

I liked this topic, too, Jaena. I was just being silly and trying to end my comment on a positive note.

: D

Personally, I hate nausea and throwing up as well -- and I'd much rather experience the former than the latter!

But I guess sometimes it might be laziness (see Deb's blog from earlier this week) . . . after all, if I'm willing to eat something that's a little suspect and take the risk, it means I don't have to cook something new! And as much as I like to cook, sometimes, I'm just too tired.

I don't see how you mothers of toddlers do it!

Deb said...

Joel, I agree you should start your own blog! I check your two sites every once in awhile to see if you've started. I know you would have at least one faithful reader (probably two, since I'm sure Jaena would check daily, too.)

Antonia - Beauty Health Finance and Green Issues Editor said...

Hi, I think your family member meant that mould grows on food such as bread, cake etc. Mould does not grow on milk, and the only way to tell if milk has gone bad is like you said, taste it or smell it.

I just read the comment by Robin, and as I studied Microbiology at college, agree to some degree with what she says, however, I find warming foods such as pizza in the microwave helps to eradicate any bacteria etc that would otherwise cause you food poisoning. Eating cold unrefrigerated leftovers is not always a good idea, especially if the food has been handled (touched) with fingers etc.

Anyway, I could go on and write a book about this topic, but I have never ever had food poisoning and always warm food in the microwave. Also, with bread you can tell when it's gone mouldy because if you inspect it, it usually has little green looking dots in some areas and generally feels hard and looks dry. Anyway, if in doubt, throw it out.

The baby is really cute by the way.