Monday, July 31, 2006

Milestones

My lack of recent blog posts does not mean that we have had nothing happening in our lives. We spent most of last week at Fairmount Campgrounds for our district family camp. I taught the kids track each morning and helped with the preschool class at night. For a funny story from last week about a practical joke gone a bit askew, read today's blog by Deb.

Our children had a couple of milestones over the past 10 days:
Madelyn got her first cold (not bad for being over 6 months old.) Elisha had a cough and cold over a month ago, which he gave to me. I, in turn, infected Jim and (most likely) Madelyn. Although it is pitiful to hear a baby cough and cry and sniffle, I actually waited a couple of weeks to take her to the doctor, thinking that a cold just had to run its course. (Let me just say that with our first child, I would have called the doctor after three days, So I was quite proud of my levelheadedness and resolve.) Finally, I made an appointment last Thursday...she is now on an antibiotic for a secondary infection (sinus, most likely).

Elisha's news is a bit more positive: Sometime near the beginning of last week, Jim noticed that one of Elisha's bottom front teeth was loose. Being the good (and somewhat obsessive) mother that I am, I looked online to see if this was "normal." Most of the information I could gather listed 5 or 6 as the age when children lost their first tooth, maybe as early as 4. So, it was on to bother (I mean ask) our dentist and pediatrician. Both were not concerned, so I tried not to be either. Still, it was a bit disconcerting when we woke up the very next morning to find our 3 1/2 year old with one less tooth than he had the night before. Fortunately, we located the tooth in his bed and saved it in a special box that our good friend Jenn had purchased for Elisha at the missions tent the night before.

Elisha's "treasure box" as he likes to call it - thanks, Jenn!

The tooth: so little!

This is not an amazing picture, but it was fairly difficult to get a
clear shot of his mouth where his lips didn't cover his bottom teeth.

See what I mean? Here is a great picture,
but it doesn't show the missing tooth.
What a cute boy, though!

11 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Way to go Elisha!!!!!

A fun milestone, and what a cool box in which to keep a tooth!!!!!

Dave & Lynnette Mason said...

Awww how sweet, wow Elisha is just growing up soo fast!

Deb said...

I checked Anna's two bottom teeth to see if they were loose today, but they're not. Just trying to keep up with the Joneses (I mean Womacks.)

Woodcock family said...

Wow!! I can't believe that Elisha lost a tooth already. He is what 6 months younger then Aaron and I dont think Aaron is anywhere near that point.
Congrats to you for waiting a week before taking Maddie to the doctor.
We Love and Miss Y'all

Hummel Family said...

You finally got a good shot of his missing tooth! How did you get him to do this for you? Good job, MOM!

Jaena said...

uhhhh...I sat on him and took tons of pictures. Persistence paid off!

Deb said...

just wanted to let you know I stopped by.

Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

That HAS to be a record. Just today Emmy (5) was telling my aunt she had 3 loose teeth which she does NOT. They don't even wiggle! BTW- thanks from the bottom of my heart for keeping all of us in your prayers through the week. It means so much.

Keetha Broyles said...

Thank you for your post-it note - - - and your prayers, Jaena

Robin said...

He is a cute boy! And what a good picture! Your babies are growing up!

Jodi said...

Hey! That box looks like it's from Guatemala! I don't think I've commented here before, but I check in on you guys every now and then. I had a few classes with Jim at IWU. Glad to see all is well with your family! What a difference in your daughter - she looks GREAT!