Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Generosity

For some reason, generosity has been a topic that keeps "popping up" over the past few weeks. I think God may be trying to tell me something, but we will get to that later.

The following are 4 definitions of the word "generous"
  1. Liberal in giving or sharing.
  2. Characterized by nobility and forbearance in thought or behavior; magnanimous.
  3. Marked by abundance; ample: a generous slice of cake.
  4. Having a rich bouquet and flavor: a generous wine.

Although I have experienced all of these definitions at one time or another, below are some of my most recent examples:

  • A friend was cleaning out her freezer to make room for meat and food that a family member was bringing her. She generously (definition #3) gave our family bags of meat (like 20 bags) and other food items - more than our freezer could hold - so we filled up my grandmother's freezer and still gave food away (to at least 4 other families so far.) We affectionately refer to her as "The Meat Fairy" (you know, kind of like the Tooth Fairy, who brings kids money...she brought us meat...get it?)
  • I read about the amazing generosity of an Apple employee here (Scroll down to post titled "Generosity.")
  • The members of a camp committee I serve on decided to share the financial surplus we had this year by sharing generous (definition #1) amounts with those who planned and helped at the camp. We were also able to return money to teen helpers who had originally paid to help offset food costs and decided to give everyone who helped at camp Starbuck's gift cards. What fun!
  • My cousin Deb and her husband (who will remain nameless since he values his privacy) responded patiently, and generously (definition #2) when our three year olds decided to practice their artistic abilities on their brand new camper. The kids managed to use markers to color on bench cushions, floor, carpet, wall, bedspread and a decorative pillow. After spending 2-3 hours together scrubbing and cleaning (many thanks to Shelli and Kismet too), Deb was still talking to me and has yet to disown me or my child as part of the family. (I am sure her blog will have more details about this in the future.)

Now, on to the applications...

  • I sometimes have an issue with worry (how will we pay for this, when will that work out, why can't God just let me know how this will end up, etc...). After experiencing firsthand the generosity of others, I realized (or maybe remebered is a better word) how amazing and faithful God is to provide - even more than we could ask or imagine (you should see all of the meat!)
  • I read today in Mark 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give" and thought about the ripple effect of generosity - seeing blessings being passed on to others. How cool!
  • I was also reminded of how many things Christ has freely given to us: salvation, health, family, friends, hope and peace, just to name a few.

So, this is where I'm wondering...how about you? When or how have you experienced generosity lately?

5 comments:

Deb said...

It's been a crazy few days - I check your blog and you have not only one but two new posts! I was thinking of the generosity theme, and the most recent example that popped in my mind was that last night, my dad arranged a trip to Daytona Beach for us for fall break through his points. Isn't it great to be able to vacation for "free."

Jaena said...

Yes, we appreciate the free vacation possibilities too. That sure gives you something to look forward to for fall. Fun (and, yes, very generous.) Are you guys up for a combined trip again sometime? (Nashville or elsewhere)

Dave & Lynnette Mason said...

Generosity...wow dave and I feel soo blessed right now with our church, new home and soo much more but I would say the most recent generousity that we recieved was that the church provided dave with a cell phone!! (budget reasons we didn't plan to get a cell phone) so God is good...he provides for all our needs and even wants:)
Generosity from awhile back...I can remember some grrrrrreat friends that offer some time share points...opportunity for us to vacation for free...thank you...hmmmm wonder who did that ? :)

tricia said...

Wow - we have been the recipients of generosity in so many ways and so many times. Grandparents who generously pay for therapy for Jacob, bosses who allow me a generous flexible schedule and vacation time, and a God who continuosly, generously loves me - WOW!
I got to work with a group called National Christian Foundation and Generous Giving and they show amazing examples of generosity. www.generousgiving.org has stories of generosity on their web site.
BTW....Jaena I answered your post on my blog :-)

tricia said...

Jaena,
I liked your post and wrote about this on my blog :-) Thank you for getting my mind going.