Thursday, July 20, 2006

Mind Over Matter

I found out almost a week ago that three friends of mine are entering a triathlon and have started training for it. As soon as I heard them talking about it I was immediately intrigued by the idea. Well, first I had to verify what three events actually took place during a triathlon, but once I knew (running, swimming, and bicycling BTW), I started thinking to myself, "I wonder if I could try it?"

I heard them talk about it last night at "girl's night out" - getting up early, training every day with a set schedule, accountability. Just hearing about it gave me a rush..."I wonder if I could so that?" So, I talked to Deb today: "How long do you run?" "When do you train?" "What if I started training too?" She offered me a copy of the training schedule, and we discussed the "mind game" it can be to make your body do things it would rather not (like swim 500 meters or run 5 miles.) There is a part of exercise in general that requires a person to push oneself: to get up and get going when you would rather lay on the couch or sleep in. Not that there isn't a payoff...the adrenaline rush, the increased energy, not to mention just being in better shape (and having clothes fit that once didn't).

But then I read the training information...
"This TriFast Training Program is designed for runners (first sign of trouble because I am not a runner - I hate to run) who would like to test their fitness in a triathlon by adding swimming and cycling to their workout routines. It assumes a moderately high level of fitness (I think I have a moderately high level of fitness), certainly an ability to finish 5-K or 10-K races if not marathons. (OK, based on that, I guess I don't have a moderately high level of fitness.)

If you never have run before, consider carefully before selecting this program. It assumes in the first week that you have the ability to run for a half hour and bike and swim near equal amounts of time. (so that would add up to an hour and a half of exercising on three ways I never exercise.) Some of the workouts combine two or more of the three triathlon disciplines in a single workout. Also in the program is two days of strength training a week."

So, this is when I started to have a panic attack (not really). But I did start a two-way conversation inside my mind weighing out the feasibility of me participating in this triathlon:


Pros

  • I exercise on a regular basis: walking and strength training, not to mention chasing after and caring for two young children, which builds stamina (as well as patience and humility and various other qualities that do not have physical ramifications.)
  • I am competitive and persistent and love a challenge.
  • It would be amazing to set and reach a goal like this.
  • I have three friends who would help with accountability and encouragement.
  • Finishing would be the goal, not winning, so there would be less pressure.
  • I have access to a pool, weights, treadmill, and bicycles at IWU gym.

Cons

  • Have I mentioned that I hate to run?
  • I had knee surgery in college and still have weakness in that knee (I should mention here that another friend who is training for the triathlon also had knee surgery while she was in college, and you would probably never know it. I tell myself it's because she is a true athlete. :-) )
  • I have chronic ear problems and cannot swim without ear plugs and probably a swim cap to guarantee that I don’t get water in my ears.
  • I do not own a bike (actually, that is not true; I do own a rusted Schwinn 10-speed that is covered with cobwebs in our shed.) I do not own a bike that could be used in the race.
  • I have a 6 month old and am still nursing (sorry if that is TMI for some of you, but I seriously think that figures into my energy and ability to train hard.)
  • I have a 6 month old and am still not getting a full night's sleep. (Deb only got 4-5 hours of sleep last night but that is because she - like the rest of us - is addicted to blogging. It is not, hopefully, an every night occurrence.)
  • I have more reasons but this post is getting rather long.

So, here are my conclusions:

  • I can tell myself that I will train for and compete in this triathlon until I am blue in the face; but reality says it will not happen.
  • Mind over matter does not always work (just watch Fear Factor).
  • My friends will not care (or like me any more or less) if I participate in this triathlon.
  • I cannot attach any of my self worth to whether or not I participate.

Bottom line: I just don’t see what I was thinking…temporary insanity, maybe? I feel like I was crazy to even consider that I could do this. Am I that "un-self aware"? (I made that word up.)

I admire those who are going to make it happen in their lives; and if anyone has a way that I could make it happen in mine (in 7 weeks), I am ready to hear it. But, for now, I am disappointed to say that my mind cannot overcome this matter.

6 comments:

the lambs said...

I'm with you on this one!

Deb said...

I guess if I had read this before I called you today, I would have known you didn't go at 6:00 this morning :). I don't blame you for deciding not to do this - three years ago when my kids were 3 and under 1, I could barely get out of the house to go grocery shopping, let alone train for a triathlon. And like you mentioned - you already regularly exercise. You are probably already in better shape than we are!

Jaena said...

I don't think I am in better shape than anyone; but even if I were, I still wish I could accomplish something like this...How much does one's mind actually have over physical limitations? I am not sure I could do it even if I didn't have young children, which is why I admire you three tremendously! :)

Unknown said...

I have always been interested in the subject as well, always wondering if it is something I could do. I guess I think that about a lot of things-having children, a marathon, being a missionary etc...I so commend those doing the triatholon and all the other things I mentioned, but no one person can do everything. Joel did a marathon and he said it was pretty much mental-especially the last part since supposedly your body can't physically run that far. ANyway, this is long-but I agree, as much as I think it is so cool-I am just not sure if I could do it-I'm OK with that...:)

Hummel Family said...

Good decision!!!!

I just thought about this, I may see you at some point during our stay in Marion. Will you be out at Family Camp? We should be there all day on Sunday.

Keetha Broyles said...

Well - - - - - here's the view of an OLD LADY - - - - - no one who is exercising looks (on their face) like they are enjoying it. For me, exercise is a four letter word. I may be old. I may be fat. I may be ugly - - - - - but I'm HAPPY and ENJOYING life. Hehehehehehehe

And about being rested in time for school - - - - nope, now I need a vacation from my vacation!!! :-)

But - - - alas and alac, school starts for me in a mere week and a half.