Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Providence


It use to be that when I heard the word "providence," my mind immediately thought of luck or coincidence. Over the past few months (thanks to a series by Pastor Steve), I have discovered that for a Christian (and maybe even for a non-Christian, but that would be another topic altogether) Providence can be God's hand moving in a situation.

Take today, for instance...I was catching up on reading blogs and checked in on a blog friend who is expecting a baby and has been put on bed rest. She needs help with meals, childcare, and--most of all--prayer. While reading, I was reminded that I had extra chili in the freezer that I made on Sunday.

Then there was the cake...I had made it to take to a Mom's Bible Study this morning which I ended up not attending, so that was to go too.

Finally, I emailed to see if they needed any "staples" from the store, and they did: a gallon of Vitamin D milk. It "just so happened" that I had a full gallon of Vitamin D milk (minus the 1/2 cup we tried to give Madelyn last week) that was going to spoil because she will not drink it...yet.

How cool is that? I was amazed (I know, I shouldn't have been amazed, since this is God we're talking about...but I was) to see first hand how God provided and met needs perfectly because He knew they existed for before I even had a clue. What a blessing, and what a reminder of God's faithfulness and promise of provision in my life as well. It reminds me of my favorite hymn:

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not;
As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be.

Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

9 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Great blog, Jaena!!!

Katie Martin said...

When I think of providence I always think of the tv show from a while ago, but your way of thinking makes more sense.

I just want to let you know Jaena, that I've actually started posting on my blog. (I guess I've caught the 'disease')

the lambs said...

Isn't it so cool to see God work like that. God is good!

Stephen and Michelle said...

You are such a blessing Jaena...great that you are willing to allow God to use you in the seemingly small, day to day activities.

Thanks again!
Michelle

Toevs said...

I love it when God can reveal Himself in things that we think may be insignificant.

I am out of pull-ups, any extras in your closets? Just kidding...

Char said...

That's one of my favorite hymns, too, Jaena.

Terhune Family said...

Two posts in two days! I'm impressed. Thanks for the reminder that God is always faithful!

Susan said...

"Our God is an awesome God He reins from heaven upon". You've given us a wonderful example of His rein!

Susan said...

Oops!!!!! That should have been "heaven above". Didn't proof read. Sorry.