Saturday, April 19, 2008

Note to Self

When my 2 year-old has the following symptoms:

* fever
* waking up crying/screaming in middle of the night
* drooling and pointing to mouth saying it hurts
* clingy, wanting to be held

Don't assume it's the stomach flu (my biggest fear as a mom) and lay down sheets and make her sleep on the floor (on the sheets) and restrict her diet to Cheerios, Kix, and diluted apple juice. Keep an open mind and check for two year molars...teething!

Disclaimer: Madelyn also said her stomach hurt and was seeming to gag when she was drooling, so I think our assumption was somewhat understandable. But when Jim brushed her teeth last night and found the point of a tooth erupting I did feel a little silly and bad for our missing the signs.

Due to a *sick* child all day Friday, I forgot to call the doctor back to check on the ultrasound results. I'm sure things are fine or they would have called and told me something. However, I will probably still call and check in Monday since I wouldn't want to wait an extra day until my actual appointment on Tuesday.

5 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

I never even thought of the sheet on the floor thing for kids with the up-chucks. That's pretty creative!!!

Jaena said...

What can I say, I hate that kind of mess. Although, we did co-purchase a carpet cleaner with my parents, so I'm a little less freaked out these days. I can always just steam clean it up.

Char said...

Hey, I don't know about you, but I can't stand the suspense - call on that ultrasound!

Sorry Maddie is suffering from teething - I would have freaked out, too. (Wait, you didn't say you freaked out, you said . . .)

Keri said...

Oh my gosh how comforting to know I'm not the only Mom who has that as Fear Number One!!! If MJ coughs in the night, I'm like, "Oh Lord please don't let him be puking" HAHA!! Just ask my Mom about my pukephobia.

And MJ is getting his molars too! We noticed a new one poking through the other day while brushing his teeth.

Amy said...

Four kids and four sets of 2-yr molars later, I'm still no expert on catching the signs of teething. :) And my kids are ordered to sleep on sleeping bags covered in layers of towels next to plastic-lined buckets when they're sick. They actually think it's special treatment because I love them so much.