Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Thankfulness

We got a call today that Josiah's newborn screen results came back and that he tested positive for galactosemia, a rare genetic disorder that Elisha had as an infant. Actually, I guess he still has it, but his body has outgrown or adapted in some way, so he is now able to drink milk.

This meant that we had to take Josiah up to the hospital so that they could do another newborn screen (read: prick his heel and squeeze the blood out of it onto a card while he screamed for 10 minutes). It should take about a week to get these test results; and during that time, he has to take soy formula and I need to pump to keep my milk supply up in case it turns out the test was wrong.

This news produced a variety of emotions: sadness of wanting to breastfeed and possibly not being able to, especially since this is our last "planned" child; disappointment from thinking things were *fine* since he didn't have severe jaundice (Elisha was rehospitaized for two days due to his high bilirubin levels); frustration from having to wash bottles, boil nipples, and pick up formula; worry that because he can't breastfeed, he will not have a good immune system or optimum brain development or whatever (I realize these are irrational thoughts...well, not the immune system issue - I think that's a researched fact).

So now we are trying to settle in and get reorganized and refocused: physically, mentally and even spiritually. I'm trying to gain perspective and see things from a more eternal viewpoint where it will not matter one bit how Josiah was nourished for the first year of his life.

I was thinking earlier today about things for which I am thankful, and I wanted to post a list. (Keep in mind that I am a practical person.) I am thankful...

*that Elisha only threw up once and it has been almost 24 hours
*that Madelyn did not have a fever this morning; it must have "broke" in the night
*that Jim was home this morning to help monitor and entertain the older two so I could care for Josiah and keep him germ-free
*that Jim was able to take a couple of hours off to go to the hospital with me
*that I have amazing friends like Tasha who was willing to take my kids at a moments' notice (even though she knew they had been ill in the last 24 hours - I'm not sure I would have agreed to that)
*that at least they have a newborn screen to catch potential problems like galactosemia
*that we have a wonderful pediatrician who is double checking this AND whose office gave us free cans of soy formula (that stuff is expensive!)
*that I have a sensitive husband who will let me cry over things like this without making me feel stupid or overly emotional

There are many more things I could add, but I'll stop for now. What are you thankful for?

10 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh dear - - - - sorry about this news too.

Great list of blessings.

I understand the tears too.

Shoemaker Family said...

Praying for you guys...in the transition of all things; but especially for stamina right now.

Keep your chin up!

the lambs said...

You know, I'm thankful that the Lord chose us to Moms and gave us wonderful husbands!

the lambs said...

that is...to be Moms. =)

Keri said...

I can understand your sadness and your worries! I would feel the exact same way!

Your list of blessings is awesome.

B,P,R,S & L said...

I had to stop nursing/pumping with/for #1 at 4 months because of work and she is now 3.5 years and never even had 1 ear infection. She had formula from 4 months to 1 year. I am very thankful for this. She has had to have a few stitches, but I don't think this has anything to do with the formula. :~)

Robin said...

This is just so much for one day!

I'm thankful for friends who are willing to share burdens and lift each other up in prayer! Consider yourself post-it-noted!

Char said...

I'm just thankful that when my fears run away with me (don't worry, you're in good company) they hardly ever materialize. It's so comforting to know that God goes before us.

Come to think of it, John was on soy formula his first year. I wonder if he has "the gene"?

Jaena said...

Char, it is definitely possible from a genetic standpoint. Jim carries the "classic galactomsemia" gene, and I have the "Duarte" gene. (We had DNA testing after Elisha because one type of galactomsemia can be quite serious.) So, either the Womacks or Lombards must be carriers.

Char said...

Well, this is fascinating. Fodder for small talk at our next family gathering.