Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The Joys of SAHM-hood

Just posting a few pictures because it has been over a week since my last post. It's not that I haven't tried to post. I have thoughts and ideas and have even started typing and have saved a draft. However, I seem to have a hard time finishing anything these days. I am discovering that being a stay-at-home mom (SAHM) doesn't mean I am actually at home: I may be off teaching VBS or going to the zoo (see previous post) or grocery shopping or any number of other things that keep me not-at-home. When I am at home, it doesn't necessarily mean I am able to accomplish many, if any, tasks besides changing diapers, fixing meals (sometimes) and encouraging positive behavior from my three year old.

Sometimes, for a task-oriented person like me, this can be challenging or even frustrating. But there are some amazing benefits too:

  1. Having Elisha fix me (in his exact words) "a beautiful dinner" out of play food and served on little dishes
  2. Holding Madelyn as long as I want...even when I "should" have laid her down for her nap
  3. "Snuggling" with Elisha at the start of his nap and hearing him turn over and whisper to me "You're my sweetie-peach" (I guess he has heard Jim call Maddie that on occasion.)
  4. Watching many of Madelyn's "firsts" (and "seconds" and "thirds" too!)
  5. Catching fun, everyday moments on film (or memory stick, actually) - something I could tend be too busy to do (see below)


Like I have said before, we don't think our child is a genius or anything; but we were rather impressed when we went into Elisha's room the other day and found an elevated train track that he had created entirely on his own. Okay, so maybe he is a genius...with trains, at least.



Madelyn sleeping in Dad's arms.
Now if he could just hold her like that all night...

7 comments:

Deb said...

Well, I've settled down for my last blog scan of the night - glad to see your new post. I think Elisha has noticed my lack of creativity with the train track this week - I'm just happy if I can get it into an oval that connects! He has a real knack for putting the track together.

the lambs said...

I was going to call you yesterday to try to plan a play date, but I have been very unproductive on housework. Reasons being very much the same as you wrote about. Soon, though. And it's about time I returned your dish, anyway.

Dave & Lynnette Mason said...

Wow, Elisha, how cool!! :) You got a smarty pants on your hands!! :)

Char said...

I know you said "joys of" tongue in cheek, but give yourself permission to be a SAHM. It's a quality of life issue for the kids and you'll never regret it.

Maddie looks huge compared to the picture posted shortly after her birth. Next thing you know, Jim will have to start holding her with two hands!

Kelley said...

Too sweet! Hey- We're having a 4th of July cookout and swimming party. You guys are invited. Those attending will be the Wuertleys, Porters, and Rowleys. I believe you know them. :) Hope you can join us!

Woodcock family said...

The look on Elishas face is priceless. I get that look from Aaron but it is usually when he has done something wrong the look also comes along with the words "What Mom I didn't do anything!"
I also find it hard to put A.J. down I think it is because when Alex and Aaron were his age I had to work and I find myself trying to enjoy it because I know it will not last much longer.
We Love Y'all

Dave & Lynnette Mason said...

Hey Jaena...I'm not sure if I asked you this before...but can you send me your email address, there are some pictures I want to email you:)